The winery is located in the wine-making village of Champtin, south of Sancerre.
Its history dates back to the 17th century, but details are known only starting in the 1850s with François Champault, then with his son Stanislas Champault around 1900. After phylloxera destroys the vineyards, Louis Champault (known as Louison) takes over – the vineyard then spans 2 hectares. One of his sons, Roger Champault, continues the family tradition, which he passes on to his sons Claude and Laurent in 1996.
Planted on hillsides with excellent terroir and exposition, the vineyard today spans 22 hectares. Claude and Laurent.
In 2014, Domaine Roger Champault obtained the HVE (Haute Valeur Environnementale) certification.